Saturday, December 26, 2009

Yeah, Christmas is over

What a relief. I don't have to worry about celebrating this non-holiday for another 365 days. Sadly, it's become such a mish mash of everything that is nothing at all. A dark hole on the calendar where peace, love and joy are supposed to reign and overcome all, but such high expectations are headed for failure. Big time.

The birth of Christ, now that's something. But it has all been washed away in the end of the year buying frenzy. If only all we celebrated was the birth of Christ in a manger in the Middle East. If only there really were three wisemen led by a bright star in the sky to a barn of animals. If only. But like everything else, it is too good to be true. And yet the myth lives on.

I think a better way to celebrate the birth of Christ is to spread it out over the year, like pieces of bread on a trail so that others can find you. The hype, the anticipation, the letdown. If what we are supposed to do is show others love, why do we expect to cram it all in one day? Wouldn't it be better to give occassional gentle reminders? I hope that's what my life is an example of, the goodness of the moment.

Yesterday, and every day that I go home my dad has selected a book for me. Many gifts of books over the year, many little times that he thinks of me, and acts on it without any expection that I will return the gift. That's Christmas. The unexpected, the thoughtful, the meaningful gestures. Anything that is expected is not a gift. This year, I sent money to Everett Gospel Mission, a book to Tom and Laura, a magazine subscription to Amy and a jar of precious apricot jam to my neighbor Stacia. Small tokens of appreciation and grace expecting nothing in return.

Thankfully, now I can begin to enjoy the winter, the cold, the quiet, the peaceful days. The weight of Christmas farce has been lifted. Two little doggies wait patiently by the door. Their thick coats keep them warm in the 30 degree weather. The anticipate that any moment will be the moment that I open the door. I like to see them getting along, sitting inches apart, with the same thought on their minds, "can I come in?" There's nothing for them inside. Outside is a yard full of wonder and amusement. Luna doesn't think so. A warm house means everything to her. Carly is happy to absorb the sun's winter rays while doing her best yoga pose. Outside is the best place for a dog to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment