Thursday, August 12, 2010

Successful surgery

We are at the end of day 2 of the 8 week healing process. Carly is sleeping soundly on the bed with the cone head next to Maisey. She whinned for about 12 hours yesterday, either from the frustration of having a plastic cone stapped to her neck, the pain of the surgery or the itch of the stitches. Either way, it was a tough night for me. I got up about 4 am and gave her a pill wrapped in peanut butter. Evidently, the peanut butter masks the bitter taste and it goes down without a hitch.

I'm glad we got the surgery over. After interviewing 3 vets and a nurse, it was time to make a decision. If I can just keep her slow for the next two months, we'll be home free and back to scaling mountains. The vet says that her left knee will be stronger than before. I wonder if that will cause the right to bust? Hope not, but at least I know what to expect and to save some cash.

She even peed tonight. A very thick urine because she was having trouble squatting on three legs.

She so emotionally attached to me. She wants to lean up to me on the bed, just to make sure I'm there? I reassure her repeatedly, that everything will be fine, that this is just temporary. Hopefully she understands and believes me.

It's funny how I don't care about the money or the time lost or anything but healing her. I don't know what I will do without her. Mom says God will give me another special dog, but I wish this one could be around for ever. I will always remember to make the most of each day I have with her. She is just so amazingly wonderful and special.

No comments:

Post a Comment